Saturday, October 15, 2011

Are You A Responsible Citizen...

"When you help, you see life as weak, when you fix, you see life as broken. When you serve, you see life as whole. " -- Rachel Naomi Remen

These past few days I have had the opportunity to attend the Utah Campus Compact Responsible Citizen Retreat located at Snowbird Ski Resort.

I have learned so many great things that I will take away and try to apply to my service in the future. 

One evening we had a panel of people from different organizations. They came to talk about what they do and what to look for when looking for ways to volunteer/serve.

One thing said, that I thought was very interesting was we need to educate ourselves on what/where we want to serve. If we do not educate ourselves we can cause more trouble than doing good. One lady stated, "Never send goods, send money to non-profit organizations. Sending goods messes up with their lively hood." I thought what that lady said was extremely interesting and I did not ever think that what we send could possibly be detrimental to their way of living. When mentioning educating ourselves they talked about finding what the people you are serving need, that way you can help and eliminate the possibility of messing with their way of life.

I am really passionate about service. I love serving people and look for new opportunities to serve. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to Right now I am currently work with the UV Mentor Program in planning 'Make A Difference Day'. Make A Difference Day is a day dedicated to service. We have planned 5 - 7 different service sites where people can come volunteer to serve for that day. Each service site has a site leader. A site leader is the person who contacted that service site and got it set up. The site leader will be over that service site for that day. At my site, we will be helping make the entrance into our city more beautiful. We are planning on laying sod and removing weeds and brush in order to accomplish this. This day is a great day where so many people can get involved and make a difference!

"Those who think they can make a difference, and those who don't are both correct." 

I challenge you to find ways to serve and make a difference! (Located below are some website you can refer to find ways to volunteer)

volunteer.utah.gov
interaction.org

"Your impact can be substantial tomorrow!"

3 comments:

  1. Hayley!
    I love this! I really love the quote that says those who believe they can make a difference and those who can't are both correct! It is so true if you believe you can't you won't and therefore you are correct. If you do believe it you can and therefore you are correct. It is all about what you believe! You are such an awesome writer!!!
    You are going to make such a difference in this world I KNOW it! This retreat was so great. I learned so many things as well!
    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgetting about yourself and thinking about others is the best thing you can do

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete